If you are a tourist, you can get this tax refunded to you at the airport before departing the country.
Here is what you need to know:
- Purchases must have been made with a credit card.
- Save your store receipts along with the credit card invoices (the copy of the the receipt that you sign).
- You cannot get a tax refund on food (restaurant or groceries), alcohol, lodging, medical or entertainment costs. You can only get a tax refund on retail and luxury products such as clothing, perfume, shoes, bags, jewelry and electronics.
- You will only be refunded taxes paid within the previous 6 months.
- Your purchases have to total more than $250,000 COP.
Arrive at the airport early to allow time for filling out all the paperwork. When you get to the airport, ask for the DIAN office (Direccion de Impuestas y Aduanas Nacionales) which is the customs and tax bureau. In Medellin, it is located behind a closed gate past the rental car offices and a guard has to let you through. They will ask to see your receipts before allowing you past. This can also be done in Bogota, just ask where the DIAN office is located when you get to the airport.
The refund will be credited to your account within 3 - 6 months.
Best of Medellin Part 1 - Best Restaurants
Best of Medellin Part 2 - Best Restaurants
Best of Medellin Part 3 - Best gym, clubs, spanish schools, etc.
How to get to the Medellin airport for under 10,000 COP